ABOUT GLOBAL VOICES
Global Voices is a borderless, largely volunteer community of more than 800 writers, analysts, online media experts and translators.
Global Voices has been leading the conversation on citizen media reporting since 2005. We curate, verify and translate trending news and stories you might be missing on the Internet, from blogs, independent press and social media in 167 countries.
Many of the world's most interesting and important stories aren't in just one place. Sometimes they’re scattered in bits and pieces across the Internet, in blog posts and tweets, and in multiple languages. These are the stories we accurately report on Global Voices—and translate into more than 40 languages.
CHECKDESK: A TOOLKIT FOR FACT-CHECKING SOCIAL MEDIA
Global Voices Checkdesk is powered by the globally minded team at Meedan; working from San Francisco, Cairo, Vancouver, London and Beirut. It is a multi-year project combining research and open curriculum development with our University partner Birmingham City University, open curriculum development and trainings with a set of community media initiatives, and content creation through a growing network of regional media partners.
HOW DOES THE TECHNOLOGY WORK?
- The platform provides a complete fact-checking workflow for the digital newsroom. With it you can:
- Quickly gather citizen media reports (Youtube videos, tweets, blog posts and articles ) using a bookmarklet
- Embed and cross-reference these citizen media reports in story pages
- Assign customizable verification statuses to each embedded citizen media report (such as ‘in review’ or ‘verified’)
- Annotate the citizen media report with fact-checking footnotes, providing a transparent history of scrutiny applied to investigate it which readers can engage with
- Share out the work you do as a shortlink or embed
HOW DO I JOIN?
Please apply here: